Evening’s Jose Cedeno joined us to display how to make just one of his family’s favorite dishes — arepas! #newdaynw
We like finding out new recipes from our good friends right here at New Working day. This time close to, we requested Evening’s Jose Cedeno to share a thing with us!
He joined the present to exhibit how to make arepas, a common meals eaten in Venezuela and Colombia.
Jose’s Arepas stuffed with Reina Pepiada (Hen-Avocado Salad)
Tailored from Larisa Alvarez, Food Network
- 2 cups arepa flour (white cornmeal flour, Jose prefers P.A.N.)
- 1 ¼ tsp salt
- Vegetable oil to grease pan
- Combine the arepa flour with the salt in a big bowl. Distribute your fingers aside and make a claw with 1 hand and get started circling the flour mixture though including 1/2 cup h2o with your other hand. Make a fist a pair of occasions to bring the clumps of dough jointly, then squeeze to split aside any remaining larger sized dough pebbles. Repeat 3 a lot more times, including 1/2 cup water every single time (for 2 cups drinking water overall) to the dry spots of the dough, squeezing out the pebbles, and combining the larger clumps.
- Soon after the ultimate addition of h2o, convey the dough jointly and include any flour remaining in the bowl. Make a fist to squeeze the dough by way of your fingers and repeat until no extra clumps remain. Carry the dough jointly again and allow relaxation, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Poke a few of holes in the dough and incorporate 2 tablespoons h2o, then knead once again. The aim is to get the dough dry plenty of so it isn’t going to stick to your fingers or the side of the bowl, but not so dry that it cracks when you squeeze a minor chunk of it amongst your fingers. If essential, incorporate 2 a lot more tablespoons of drinking water and knead to mix one particular more time. If the dough is far too wet, sprinkle flour in a small at a time, then combine to mix. Allow relaxation, uncovered, for a further 5 minutes.
- Heat a big forged-iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat and evenly grease with an oiled paper towel.
- Divide the dough into 6 equivalent parts — every single ought to weigh about 4 1/2 ounces. Roll each and every piece into a ball, then flatten into a disk about 3 1/2 inches extensive and 1 inch tall.
- You can place a little bit of h2o on the ball to continue to keep it moist, and if edges commence to crack just include a touch of drinking water to sleek out.
- Set the disks in a one layer in the skillet and cook until a golden-brown crust has shaped on the bottom, about five minutes. Flip and repeat on the other aspect, 5 minutes additional. You can reoil the pan following every single batch.
- Serve heat, cut open and fill with salad.
Reina Pepiada (Hen-Avocado Salad)
- 1–2 significant ripe avocados, reduce into cubes
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2-3 tablespoons refreshing lime juice
- 1/2 medium white or pink onion, finely diced (optional)
- 2 cups packed shredded cooked hen
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- Kosher salt and refreshing floor black pepper
- ½ cup shredded gouda cheese
- *optional sauces like a cilantro sauce or incredibly hot sauce if you like it spicy
- Blend the avocado, mayonnaise, and lime juice in a medium bowl and mix, mashing the avocado with a fork as essential. Stir in the onion, hen, cilantro, a sprinkle of pepper and a generous sprinkle of salt. Taste for seasoning and modify if vital.
- Stuff arepas, then best with cheese and any sauce.
Phase Producer Suzie Wiley. Watch New Day Northwest 11 AM weekdays on KING 5 and streaming live on KING5.com. Get in touch with New Day.