Butternut Squash Mac n Cheese
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Whole Time: 45 minutes Servings: 6
A creamy slide mac and cheese with butternut squash puree and sage!
- 1 pound pasta (gluten-free for gluten-totally free)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-function flour (rice flour for gluten-absolutely free)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sage, thinly sliced
- 2 cups milk (or broth)
- 2 cups cheese, shredded*
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated
- 1 pinch nutmeg (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard (optional)
- 2 cups butternut squash puree (or pumpkin puree)
- salt and pepper to style
- Start cooking the pasta as directed on the deal.
- In the meantime, soften the butter in a massive saucepan about medium warmth and cook dinner right up until it commences to convert a light golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkling in the flour, mix in the garlic and sage and cook dinner, mixing, right until it turns a mild golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Incorporate the milk, carry to a simmer, mixing, and prepare dinner until finally it thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Minimize the heat, incorporate the cheese and enable it soften into the sauce.
- Blend in the nutmeg, mustard, and butternut squash puree in advance of seasoning with salt and pepper to flavor.
- Drain the pasta, reserving some of the cooking water.
- Blend the pasta into the sauce, optionally adding some of the reserved cooking water to slim the sauce out, if preferred.
Choice: Use your favorite cheese or combination of cheeses. I like sturdy cheddar or gruyere, fontiona, and so on. together with parmesan, pecorino, and so on. Blue cheese is incredible with butternut squash!
Selection: Incorporate 4 ounces cream cheese in addition to the shredded cheese!
Choice: Leading with a crispy breadcrumb topping! (Soften 1/4 cup butt in a pan, increase 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs, blend and cook until frivolously golden brown just before sprinkling over the mac and cheese!
Option: Garnish with crispy butter fried sage!
Alternative: Garnish with bacon, or pancetta, or sausage, or shredded pepperoni! (Fried till crispy!)
Selection: Garnish with sauteed mushrooms!
Solution: Garnish with pepitas!